Every year, the UK government, through the Chevening scholarship, sponsors international students with strong leadership, networking, and professional background to study for a 12-month master’s degree in a UK university. At the end of the program, students are required to return to their home country, where they will contribute to its nation-building using the knowledge they have acquired.
10-12 months Full-time taught Masters Degree Programme in any subject
Number of Awardee
Around 1,500 scholarships globally are offered annually.
Chevening has an acceptance rate of 3-2 percent
About the program
The Chevening Scholarship is a highly prestigious programme that offers you the opportunity to study in the UK. The scholarship is a part of the UK government’s global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The scholarship is typically awarded to international students who want to study at one of the many universities and colleges that are part of the Chevening network.
Successful applicants will join a diverse network of over 50,000 global graduates after their scholarship. Participants will also return to their home country with the knowledge and networks they need to bring their ideas to life and succeed in their careers.
The Chevening Scholarship will provide you with funding for your entire degree programme. You will also receive a year-long assignment in an area relevant to your career aspirations, which will help you gain experience and develop your skills to prepare for your future career.
The scholarship covers tuition fees and living costs for your first year in the UK, including accommodation at university hostels, as well as food, travel costs and other expenses during your time here.
Citizens of Chevening-qualified countries are eligible for the scholarships. For a complete list of eligible countries for Chevening scholarships, visit the official website.
However, to be eligible for the evening scholarship, individuals are expected to fulfil the following:
- You must be a resident of a Chevening-eligible nation or territory.
- Be ready to return to your home country for at least two years after your scholarship expires.
- By submitting your application, you must have completed all components of an undergraduate degree that will allow you to secure admission to a postgraduate study at a UK university.
- Have at least two years of work experience (equivalent to 2,800 hours).
- Applied to three different suitable UK university courses and obtained an unconditional offer from one of them at least June.
All Chevening applicants must provide proof of their education, references, and one unconditional UK university offer.
The Chevening 2022/2023 scholarship is currently open. The application deadline is on the 2nd Nov 2022 (annual)
Application process/How to Apply
Chevening Award applications can only be submitted using the Chevening online application system, which is accessible via the ‘apply’ option on your country’s page.
It is critical to visit the official website and individual country page for complete information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Tips to Ace the Application process
Here are some helpful resources that can help you through your application process.
- Graduate School Abroad — Applying to graduate school Abroad
- How to craft a great CV — for tips on resume/CV writing and interview skills
- Writing and Communication — for writing and communication support. This will help you through the short essays.
- Application Waiver — Application Fee waiver for international students: How to make the most of it
- Reference Letter — How to ask for a reference letter without being intimidated
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.chevening.org/