Masters in the United Kingdom
There are various advantages to studying for a Master’s degree in the United Kingdom rather than the United States or Canada.
- The UK Masters is a one-year program. This is a low-cost option that can help you get back on track with your life and work quickly.
- The United Kingdom continues to provide you with an affordable world-class education.
- In the United Kingdom, you can easily find scholarships to help you pay for your master’s degree (Chevening, Commonwealth, University Scholarships). There will be more on this later.
- Beginning in January 2020, the United Kingdom will offer a two-year post-study period for you to sort yourself out after graduation.
You can enroll in a Master’s program on your own. You do not require the services of an agent.
There are two main documents you’ll need for Masters in the United Kingdom.
- Your official transcript
- IELTS Academic OR 3. Proof of English proficiency from your university may be used instead of IELTS.
You can use these to apply for admission to colleges based on what you want to study. You can get an admission in as little as 48 hours or as long as a few weeks.
It’s time to start looking at financial options once you’ve received your acceptance offer.
- This is the more straightforward option if you have the financial means to pay for tuition (which can range from £10-15k depending on the school). Accommodation (about £500 per month), as well as food and transportation (around £300-400 per month), should all be considered.
- Wahala dey if you’re short on cash. However, don’t be concerned. Scholarship opportunities are available. THESE, ON THE OTHER HAND, ARE EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE! As a result, be prepared to go to war for it. Tuition and housing will be covered by Chevening and Commonwealth. Some university scholarships only cover a portion or all of your tuition costs. My tuition was entirely paid for by my parents.
Some schools allow you to pay in installments. You only need a payment of around £3000, and the remainder can be paid monthly once you arrive.
A student visa allows you to work for up to 20 hours per week. With this, some students have been able to arrange for housing and food. You can also make money in various ways.
You and your family are welcome to relocate. They’ll be on a Tier-4 dependant visa, which allows your spouse to work up to 80 hours per week. However, moving with your family entails a significant financial investment in terms of visa costs, housing, and food. Everything is automatically enlarged.
Now it’s time to look at the difficulties. Living in the United Kingdom isn’t easy, especially if you’re short on cash. However, if you put in the effort, you will be able to cope. You may become bankrupt or depressed. But perseverance and hard effort will pay off in the end.
COVID has also made it more harder than normal to find work. However, getting a job in the UK is far easier than getting one in Nigeria. A job is anything respectable that pays you money. Make a concerted effort.
See Also: Why study a Master in United Kingdom