Did you know you could become a Registered Nurse in the UK, without having a previous healthcare background?
The NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) in the UK, permits prior learning, in any subject, to be recognised where it meets the course outcomes and requirements for applicants to apply for a pre registration Msc. in Nursing.
What this literally means is that, applying, getting accepted, and studying for an MSc. Nursing in the UK gives you the license to become a registered nurse.
And, you don’t need a background in any health-related course, because they accept ‘any subject’.
Pre-registration MSc Nursing, in the UK, is mostly spent in practice placements to gain practical nursing experience in hospitals, community homes, private clinics, and community nursing teams: (https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/msc-adult-nursing), and this a two-year postgraduate level course.
One such University that does this program is Bournemouth University. The minimum classification for Nigeria is 2:2.
So never say never to that nursing dream.
Oh, and once you can prove you studied in English, for most universities, you wouldn’t need an IELTS result to apply to study, until the NMC registration point where it’s a prerequisite, irrespective of where you studied.
There are student grants and loans available once you qualify. You could also work while studying.
Apart from the University of Bournemouth, what other Universities offer pre-registration Adult Nursing in the UK?
- University of Plymouth
September 2022 entry open.
- University of Cumbria
Intake: January 2023.
- University of Lincoln
Applications for January 2022 will end by November 26, 2021.
- University of Northumbria, Newcastle
Applications for January 2022 intake are still ongoing.
- Teesside University (one of the cheapest)
Entry for January 2022 has ended. Next intake: January 2023
- Glasgow Caledonian University (one of the cheapest)
Entry for January 2022 is closed. Next intake, January 2023.
- University of Sunderland (One of the cheapest)
Please note: Msc Nursing (Pre-registration) is different from Masters in Nursing.
Want a career in nursing? Now’s the best time to start preparing and here’s where the work comes in:
- Application: Please visit the websites of the schools listed above and speak to their student representatives and staff via email. There’s a very effective electronic system in the UK and these representatives are equipped to answer all your questions.
- Gathering Your Documents: Find out the course requirements and documents needed and start getting them together pending when applications open.
- Statement of Purpose: You’d need to have a convincing and strong statement of purpose why you’d want nursing and how your values align with that of the NMC UK. Research on the NMC UK’s values and create a compelling SOP that’d get you selected.
- References: You’d need to supply the needed academic/professional/character references as required by the University. Let your referees know what you’re applying for, and let it be people you trust can put forward a powerful and beautiful referral for you.
Don’t forget: the University has advisors that will guide you with as much information you need, at whatever process.
Also, while you won’t need IELTS before applying to study – once you can prove you studied in English, the NMC requires an IELTS or OET band score before the actual nursing registration.
This means that you’d eventually have to write IELTS while studying.
Go chase your nursing dream!.